Admissions & Requirements
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or equivalent diploma from a four-year professional art school.
- Application form and nonrefundable $80 fee. Click here to apply online.
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended.
- Transcripts from foreign institutions must be officially translated into English and U.S. grading equivalencies. More information regarding our foreign transcript evaluation can be found here.
- Three letters of recommendation from instructors or practicing professionals. Letters should be written on school or company letterhead and returned to the applicant in a sealed envelope with the recommender’s signature across the seal.
- Writing sample between 2,500 and 3,000 words long, which must by typed. Content is at the discretion of the applicant. Applicants are encouraged to submit papers or articles that have been published or presented, if applicable.
- Statement of purpose (250-500 words) describing the applicant’s reason for pursuing graduate study
- Proof of English Proficiency (required of applicants whose primary language is not English).
- Nonimmigrant alien applicants are required to submit documentation of sufficient financial resources to attend SVA.
Applications for Fall 2015 enrollment are now being accepted. The early acceptance deadline for applications is January 20, 2015. However, applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled by exceptional candidates. We encourage you to apply earlier rather than later, to ensure that places in the Fall 2015 class are still available. Applicants who need immediate confirmation of the receipt of application materials should send all materials through a mailing service that will track the package.
All materials should be sent together to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
School of Visual Arts
209 East 23 Street
New York, NY 10010-3994
Applicants will receive an admissions decision in writing by March 31, 2015 (if the completed application was submitted by January 20, 2015). The College does not disclose admissions decisions via phone, fax or e-mail. Note: All application materials become the property of the School of Visual Arts and will not be returned.
Art Criticism and Writing Tuition
For a full schedule of graduate tuition and fees for the Art Criticism and Writing program, please consult SVA’s Graduate Admissions page.